Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Dance Walking - I'm Hooked!

With all the flash mobs that have popped up all over the place, it's a wonder how any one is able to stay so serious.  For the most part, they seem to be about having fun or spreading some sort of message.

Back in April, I participated in International Pillow Fight Day, and I was really eager to participate in more random fun activities.  So, naturally, when I heard about Dance Walking, I had to get involved!

Basically, dance walking involves going down the street, grooving to whatever happens to be playing into your headphones.  No one else can hear what you hear, but when you feel the beat you just have to move.

I had been trying to recruit friends to join me, but to no avail.  It honestly made me a little sad to go by myself, especially since I wanted to share something fun with other people.  I almost didn't go just because I didn't want to feel lonely.

I would have felt like an idiot if I stayed home just because I had to do something by myself.

It was SO worth it!

I made sure to prep my usual workout music with more dance tunes, and I was happy to see a lot of other eager and excited faces.  I found the group along the Commonwealth Avenue parks, and we traveled through the Public Garden and Boston Common to finish in front of the fountain near the Park St. T Station.
dance walking through the Public Garden...
getting our grooves on...
safety dance!
I think I was changing my music...
someone busted out a bit of the robot...
collective groove...
jazz hands!
It was really way more fun than I could have anticipated.  We were all hoping that more dance party sessions would happen throughout the summer.  I remember thinking at one point how much I just love random spontaneous dance parties, so this felt like a natural thing for me.  When it was all over, I almost couldn't stop myself from continuing to groove down the street and during the T ride home.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to attempt to make my kids at the summer camp do a bit of dance walking as a daily activity.  Who says it all has to be serious when you grow up?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, hello there! What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...