Monday, March 15, 2010

Mermaid Collages: Mermen

In honor of this crazy rainy weather, I'm posting 2 mermaid collages.  And in this special edition, I'm featuring my mermen.

**********

When I was in college, I was doing some work study at the university library.  We often had fabulous book covers that we didn't use, so I would usually take them to be used for little artsy projects.  I would also take photocopies of different images in photography books.  In other instances, I would save cut-outs from magazines, especially if there was some particularly interesting texture.

I'm pretty sure that's how these two collages came about.

Leather and tulle
 
Shrimp-man?
If you look closely at the dates, I must have been in a specific frame of mind to have done these within a 24 hour period.

In terms of the mythology, mermen are not as popular.  In fact, they're often portrayed as ugly and dangerous.  I'd have to admit that I don't know much about mermen either.  But recently, I've discovered this book of 27 stories from around the world.
Amazon Permalink:  http://amzn.com/1566563909
I think it's time to up my personal education of these mythological creatures.

4 comments:

  1. haha for the shrimp man-i like him!

    when i think of mermen, i think of derek zoolander ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!

    "Merman!! *cough cough* Merman..." Good scene...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got the black lung, pop

    hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG WTH?

    Buahahahahahahah lol

    ReplyDelete

Well, hello there! What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...