Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snow Day for the Unemployed - A Picture Story

The first blizzard of 2011 is here in Boston.  The streets are all covered, and the people are all nestled at home.

I can't believe that the snow is still so novel to me!  In a day, when the snow has hardened to ice or when it's in big clumps of browning dirty snow, I won't be as excited as I am today.  But today, I woke up somewhat excited by all the white has taken over.

Before coffee this morning, I put on my coat and boots and ventured out into the cold.
Checking out the view before heading outside.
The plows were already out, trying to clear what's accumulated.  Though some were waiting for more of it to accumulate before clearing the roads.
Snow plow in the wings.
Today also happens to be trash day.  But what are the odds that they will actually be picked up?
Can you see the trash bags and recycling bins?
There's no way that anyone is getting anywhere today.  At least, there's no way that you'll be able to get anywhere on time today.  The T is running, but it is more like a stroll through the snow.
I'm pretty sure all the snow gets plowed onto the tracks...then what?
Not everyone has a snow day.  Surely nurses and doctors don't have that luxury, and certainly neither do paramedics and firemen.  Though, I sure hope that whatever emergencies there are today are not too intense.
No rest for the weary.
It's difficult to explain the feeling to those who don't have to live in this kind of weather.  Sure, I will be the first to tell you that I dislike having no other choice but to trudge through the snow just to get somewhere.  But, there is something exhilarating about being outside during a blizzard.
Yay!
It's the cold air, the snowflakes that hit your face.  It's exciting to see a snowflake on your glove and notice the individual crystals that make them all so unique.
Snowflakey.
It's beautiful and quiet.  At least for now.

Who knew that I would enjoy the snow as much as I have?

3 comments:

  1. I love that your winter coat is green Miss Mermaid!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...I dislike having no other choice but to trudge through the snow just to get somewhere. But, there is something exhilarating about being outside during a blizzard."

    There is! I get excited to go out to run errands in the snow, the more difficult the better. I just get amped up to do everything outside even though it's cold and snowy. But I think that's just my no-snow LA-ness talking and novelty still hasn't worn off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am sometimes the only one around here that is enjoying the snow! cus it's still novelty for me to and i dont have any one to worry about being on the roads, if i did, i think it would be a different story...

    I loved your pictures! and im soo happy you finally got your big snow AND that you got to play it in! i know right! after a few days it all starts loooking yucky! and i love it when you see the actual snowflakes falling your jacket! its crazy!!!

    Running errands is fun in the snow but if you are in a hurry and you are feeling like a toddler who is just learning how to walk in can be a little frustrating that's way i only play in it in the park and cus its a little bit cleaner... :D

    ReplyDelete

Well, hello there! What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...