Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Beautiful Distractions

Sunday Rainbow as seen from Harvard Ave. and Commonwealth Ave, Allston, MA
(May 31, 2009)

I was waiting for the bus. The damn 66 bus that never ever comes when you need it, but runs on the most convenient route so you have no choice anyways. My headphones were feeding music into my brain, helping to distract me from the time. I was focused, trying to will the 66 to arrive soon. I don't know what it was that caught my attention. But I turned to my right, and there it was. I'll be the first to admit that I turned into a tourist, scrambling for my camera. Amidst all the city noise and traffic, it felt like a reminder to take things a little slower.


The boyfriend sometimes teases me when I got into "turbo mode," as he calls it, whenever we step foot in Chinatown. I feel like if we're trying to get to Dim Sum, not only is my stomach motivating me, but I don't want to get caught behind all the Sunday shoppers. On a different level, though, he's got a point. I admit that I pride myself for maintaining whatever "California" personality people perceive. But I get swept up in the rush of the commute, too.

So, once in a while, it's nice to be reminded to do so. We can all have a little "California Soul" in us.

Interestingly, (that is if you followed the link above to the 5th Dimension lyrics), here's the other end of the rainbow (from the other end of the warmer season) from 2 years ago:


During a Summer Concert Series in Boston's City Hall Plaza, while The 5th Dimension were performing.
(August 8, 2007)

Oh, by the way, the 66 bus arrived soon thereafter, and I was right on time to where I needed to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, hello there! What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...