Friday, June 10, 2011

Day 10: Lifting the Lorax


The Lorax is by far my favorite Dr. Seuss story.  It always has been, and it always will be.

"I am the Lorax! I speak for the trees!"

When I was younger, I really truly believed that truffula trees existed somewhere once. 

Like the Lorax, I feel like I will speak for something until change is made.  But even the Lorax knows when to take himself elsewhere.  Sometimes it takes hitting the bottom to be able to lift yourself up from it.

I took this picture at a school where I was interviewing for a potentially full-time permanent job.  And I learned today that I didn't get that position.

But truth be told, knowing that they were considering making me an offer created more anxiety for me.  It was really similar to the previous program in that it was working with K-8 schools; however, it's located in a more stable (read: wealthier) party of the city.

I should have jumped at this offer, right?  But I didn't.  I didn't because I had already agreed to do full time hours at the summer program, and I was feeling anxious about suddenly going back on that agreement.

But on this same day, I also was given an opportunity to be trained as a certified sex educator.  Certified.  It's something I've wanted for a long time.  I jumped at this opportunity.

I feel like something is happening.  I'm trying to really figure out who I want to be in this world, what kind of Lorax I want to be.  And the opportunities are finally making their way through the smog.

I just have to lift myself through it.

1 comment:

Well, hello there! What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...