Sunday, October 17, 2010

Simple Pleasures Sundays - Real, Loud Conversations

I will be the first to admit that I thoroughly dislike hearing other people's conversations on the T.  I enjoy people watching and all, but for some reason when people have conversations on the T it's usually about things I don't necessarily think is appropriate for public conversation in a small enclosed space.

Believe me, I know this because I am definitely one of those people.  I will also be the first to admit that I've definitely had loud conversations about ridiculous things in places where I probably should not be having those conversations.

I was reminded of this fact this evening.

I was out with friends having dinner after a show, and we were talking and laughing and having a merry time.  Perhaps our laughter was a bit too loud, and perhaps we didn't care.  At one point, I looked around and realized that there were a couple of people giving us looks like we were being horrible restaurant patrons because we were having a good time.

Sad to say that this has happened to me and my group of friends far too many times.  I'm pretty sure that people applauded once when my L.A. friends and I were leaving an IHOP.

So, while on some level, I'd like to say that by putting my headphones on while riding the T, I'm allowing people to have wacky conversations without me needing to give them strange looks.  I mean, it's fine that people have whatever conversations they want to have where ever they want to have it, within reason obviously.  Freedom of speech is a grand thing.

But if I have a choice to participate as a listener or not, then I'll use the freedom of choice and opt to listen to my music instead.

Really though, I think it puts me in the situation of being able to really appreciate the freedom of having real and loud conversations.  Truly, what a grand way to end the weekend - being with friends, having a good meal, glass of wine, and laughing out loud from our conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, hello there! What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...