Thursday, April 12, 2012

11 Til 30 - Power Outage

I had never been to my basement before late Wednesday night/early Thursday morning.  Now I've been in my basement more times than I'd like to be in basements.

Here are random things I learned about my apartment:
  • The basement has several ways of getting in and getting out.  The guys who live downstairs have a separate door from us to get to the basement, and there's another door that leads to the side of the house.
  • Basements are creepy because they're usually unorganized storage for a bunch of random crap. It's like where memories go to slowly rot away.  My basement is no different.
  • There are 3 different boxes for the circuit breakers.  1 is for the apartment downstairs. 2 are for my apartment.  The 2 are in completely different spots in the basement, and not necessarily easy to find.  I had no idea that there is a main circuit breaker, and I wouldn't have even guessed that it was located in a different section of the basement from the other circuit breaker with the multiple switches.  Why is it like that??
We had a power outage from Wednesday night into Thursday morning at around 11am.  Apparently, the whole block had an outage, but my apartment was the last one to get power back.

When I got the utility company to finally arrive in the morning, the person got the electricity on for a little bit of time.  But when I asked him to show me where the main circuit breaker was, he also showed me how to turn it on and off...and I'm pretty sure he broke it.  The power wouldn't come back on, and he explained that he couldn't do anything to the actual wiring or the switch.  This resulted in me calling our landladies, who called an electrician.

There's definitely a moment of panic when the electricity goes off, and a slow realization of how much we rely on electricity.  The first things I thought of were charging my phone, the internet, and just general lighting in the house.

Luckily, fixing the circuit breaker took a lot less time than I anticipated.  I feel like I have a new appreciation for all our electronic appliances, including the switch that sparks the fire on our stove, the microwave, and the light in the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, hello there! What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...